Edelweiss Bike Travel, a worldwide leader in motorcycle tours and travel since 1980, has organized an exclusive tour for Rider magazine. Join one of Rider’s editors on the Unknown Italy Tour, which reveals the secrets of the Appenines, the chain of mountains that runs down the spine of the boot-shaped country.
The 12-day vacation, which runs from Oct. 9-20, 2023, includes travel days on each end, seven riding days, and three rest days (which can also be spent riding!).
Related: Edelweiss Bike Travel Releases 2023/24 Tour Brochure
The tour begins in Florence, the capital city of the Tuscany region that’s world-renowned for its food, wine, and Renaissance art and architecture. Arrive a couple days early to allow time to visit the iconic Duomo, Michelangelo’s David sculpture, Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus,” and da Vinci’s “Annunciation.” You’ll also want to stroll the historic streets and enjoy a gelato!
For the first two riding days, we’ll ride on twisty, lesser-known roads through the Appenines to Perugia, the capital city of Umbria that’s known for its defensive walls around a historic city center, and then it’s on to Santo Stefano di Sessanio, a medieval town located within the Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park, where we’ll spend a rest day.
Next, we’ll continue riding south to spend a night in the small village of Serre di Conca, and then we’ll make our way to the legendary Amalfi Coast that overlooks the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Gulf of Salerno. A popular holiday destination, the Amalfi Coast is known for sheer cliffs, secluded beaches, and pastel-colored fishing villages.
From the Amalfi Coast, we’ll explore more backroads on our way to the mountain village of Morano Calabro, which is located near a 3,600-foot pass. For the third and final rest day, we’ll ride to Matera, the European Capital of Culture for 2019. The city is perched on a rocky outcrop in the region of Basilicata, and nearby is the Sassi area, a complex of cave dwellings carved into the mountainside.
The tour concludes in Bari, a port city on the Adriatic Sea that’s the capital of Italy’s Puglia region. Bari’s mazelike old town, known as Barivecchia, occupies a headland between two harbors.
Related: Edelweiss Bike Travel Best of Greece Tour Review
Unknown Italy tour daily itinerary:
- Day 1: Arrival in Firenze (Florence)
- Day 2: Firenze (Florence) – Perugia
- Day 3: Perugia – Santo Stefano di Sessanio
- Day 4: Santo Stefano di Sessanio (rest day)
- Day 5: Santo Stefano di Sessanio – Serre di Conca
- Day 6: Serre di Conca – Costiera Amalfitana (Amalfi Coast)
- Day 7: Costiera Amalfitana (Amalfi Coast) (rest day)
- Day 8: Costiera Amalfitana (Amalfi Coast) – Morano Calabro
- Day 9: Morano Calabro – Matera
- Day 10: Matera (rest day)
- Day 11: Matera – Bari
- Day 12: Departure from Bari
Pricing starts at $6,250 per person, including motorcycle rental for a rider in a double room (see below for what’s included in the price). See the tour webpage for tiered pricing for different motorcycle models as well as pricing for a passenger and a single room supplement.
Join one of Rider’s editors on this unique, once-in-a-lifetime motorcycle adventure. Space is limited, so make your reservation today!
- All overnight stays (comfortable middle-class hotels) during entire tour
- Breakfast every day
- Two picnics/lunches
- Eight dinners
- Motorcycle rental with unlimited mileage
- Third-party liability insurance for motorcycles
- Comprehensive vehicle insurance for motorcycles with deductible according to the booked motorcycle model
- Tour information package, including safety tips and details about hotels, route, and sights in English or German
- English- and German-speaking tour guide on motorcycle
- Support van for luggage transportation (one piece per person) and space for passengers (limited) on entire tour
- Edelweiss riding tips
- Optional deductible reduction on included motorcycle insurance (Cover All / Cover Plus)
Services not included:
- All services not mentioned as included and all items of a personal nature.